This old-fashioned pie is a classic for a reason—it’s hands-down delicious. Instead of dairy, this vegan rendition from the Craving Vegan cookbook relies on plant-based ingredients to create a creamy, dreamy center that’s just as decadent as the original.
What you need:
1 frozen and thawed store-bought vegan pie crust
For the pie filling:
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
1 can full-fat coconut milk
3 tablespoons vegan butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons melted vegan butter
What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake pie crust for 10 to 12 minutes to partially bake. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. For the pie filling, in a medium saucepan, whisk sugar and cornstarch. Add coconut milk and stir to combine. Dollop butter on top. Set saucepan over medium-high heat and cook, whisking often, until mixture thickens, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla. Set aside.
3. For the topping, in a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
4. Pour prepared filling into pie crust, filling three-quarters full. Drizzle on melted butter and evenly sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
5. Bake for 25 minutes. The pie will be bubbling and still very liquidy. Carefully remove from oven and let cool on a rack at room temperature. Once cooled, move pie to refrigerator until set, about 3 hours, or overnight is best.